Nominations announced for the 2023 Yoto Carnegies
yotocarnegies.co.uk | #YotoCarnegies23 | @CarnegieMedals
Monday 7 November 2022: Nominations have been announced for the 2023 Yoto Carnegies, the UK’s longest running and best-loved children’s book awards.
A total of 125 books have been nominated for the 2023 Medals. 67 books are in contention for the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Writing which is awarded to a book written in English for children and young people that sparks an outstanding reading experience and 58 books for the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration, which celebrates an outstanding reading experience through illustration. This includes 6 titles that have received nominations in both Medal categories.
Yoto Carnegie Medal for Writing Nominated Titles 2023
Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration Nominated Titles 2023
Uniquely judged by librarians, the Yoto Carnegies invite nominations from CILIP members, as well as external bodies: BookTrust, CLPE, English & Media Centre, IBBY, Inclusive Minds CIC, National Literacy Trust, RNIB and the CILIP School Libraries Group. CILIP accepted nominations that met the criteria for the Medals and reflected the spirit of the Awards mission: To champion librarians to inspire and empower the next generation to create a better world through books and reading.
What happens next?
Each nominated book is read by every member of the 2023 judging panel – which this year includes 12 experienced librarians from CILIP’s Youth Libraries Group − who volunteer their time as judges.
From these nominations, the judging panel will decide the long and shortlists and finally, the 2023 Medal winners, based on the official criteria for the Medals for Writing and Illustration. The long and shortlists identify a range of outstanding books for children and young people of all ages and interests, celebrating world-class writing and illustration from new and established authors and illustrators.
2023 will also see the continuation of the Shadowers’ Choice Awards voted for by children and young people who take part in the Awards shadowing scheme – a reading for pleasure initiative that engages thousands of children and young people in schools and libraries in the UK and overseas through ‘shadowing’ reading groups. Young people read and engage with the shortlists critically and creatively, through group participation and digitally: posting online reviews, artworks, videos and taking part in creative activities and online events. Taking on the role of judges, the groups will vote for their favourite books to receive the Shadowers’ Choice Award at the winners’ ceremony in June 2023.
All nominations published have received at least one nomination from a CILIP member or external body and have been checked and verified for their eligibility.
KEY DATES FOR THE YOTO CARNEGIES 2023:
Wednesday 15 February 2023: Longlist announced
Friday 17 March 2023: Shortlist announced and Shadowing begins
June 2023: Yoto Carnegie Winners announced
– ENDS –
The Yoto Carnegies logo can be downloaded here.
#YotoCarnegies23 | @CarnegieMedals
For media and interview requests, please contact:
Annabelle Wright at ed public relations on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7732 4796.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
About The Yoto Carnegies
- The Yoto Carnegies celebrate outstanding achievement in children’s writing and illustration respectively and are unique in being judged by librarians.
- The Yoto Carnegie Medal for Writing is awarded annually to a children’s book author whose writing creates an outstanding reading experience. It was established in 1936 in memory of the Scottish-born philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919).
- The Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration, established in 1955, is awarded annually to a children’s book illustrator whose artwork creates an outstanding reading experience.
- Each year thousands of reading groups in schools and libraries in the UK and overseas get involved in the Awards, with children and young people ‘shadowing’ the judging process. They read, discuss and review the books on the shortlists, get involved in reading related activity in groups, and vote for their favourite books to win to win The Yoto Carnegie Shadowers’ Choice Medals for Writing and Illustration.
- In 2022, Katya Balen won both the Yoto Carnegie Medal and the Carnegie Shadowers’ Choice for October, October. The Yoto Kate Greenaway Medal – now named the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration – was won by Danica Novgorodoff for Long Way Down and Mariachiara Di Giorgio was awarded the Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice for The Midnight Fair.
About CILIP, the library and information association
- CILIP is the leading voice for the information, knowledge management and library profession. Our goal is to put information and library skills and professional values at the heart of a democratic, equal and prosperous society.
- CILIP is a registered charity, no. 313014. The Youth Libraries Group (YLG) is a special interest group of CILIP who work to preserve and influence the provision of quality literature and library services for children and young people, both in public libraries and school library services.
- YLG has 12 regional committees covering all of the UK, and each committee advertises and democratically recruits a judge to represent them on the panel of judges. Each judge serves a two-year term and each year the panel is a unique mix of new and experienced judges led by the Chair of Judges. Following the independent diversity review of the Awards, CILIP introduced a co-opting procedure so that if this recruitment process does not result in a sufficiently diverse and representative judging panel, up to two judges will be co-opted to join the panel.
- Yoto is the audio platform that kids control. Our audio players let kids safely explore their favourite stories, music and more without a screen.
- Inspired by Montessori principals, Ben Drury and Filip Denker founded Yoto in 2017. The very first Yoto Player launched on Kickstarter, then sold out in 2019. The second generation Yoto Player was designed with renowned design agency, Pentagram, and launched in early 2020.
- Yoto Player has won awards and accolades from critics and toddlers alike. TIME Magazine even named it one of the Best Inventions of 2020.
- Yoto Mini – our portable audio player – launched in late 2021 and was awarded a D&AD Pencil in 2022.
- Yoto’s platform features original content alongside audio licensed and co-created with partners. These include PRH, Macmillan, Sony, Disney, LEGO, Roald Dahl Story Company, HarperCollins, Hachette, Bonnier and Scholastic.