CILIP Announces Scholastic as New Book Supplier for the Yoto Carnegies
yotocarnegies.co.uk | #YotoCarnegies23 | @CarnegieMedals
Monday 14 November 2022: CILIP is delighted to announce that Scholastic will be the official book supplier for the Yoto Carnegies from 2023.
The Yoto Carnegies are the UK’s longest running and best-loved children’s book awards, recognising outstanding reading experiences created through writing and illustration in books for children and young people. The awards aim to spark a lifelong passion for reading by connecting more children with the books that will change lives, and the shadowing scheme, now in its fifth year, attracts and engages with thousands of children as they ‘shadow’ the judging process, debate the books, and decide their Shadowers’ Choice winners from each Medal shortlist.
Scholastic have been selected to be the official book supplier for the awards shadowing scheme following a competitive tender process. They will provide shadowing groups with discounts on the shortlisted books and will work with CILIP to jointly promote the role of children’s literature and reading for pleasure.
Catherine Bell, Co-group M.D. at Scholastic commented: “We are absolutely delighted to have been selected as the official book supplier for The Yoto Carnegies. Building and supporting readers in discovering wonderful new books is core to all we do and we feel great affinity with the scope and ambition of what the team at CILIP want to achieve with the awards going forward. We have some exciting new plans to help engage even more children in reading and discussing brilliant books through the shadowing scheme and can’t wait to work with the awards team to see these come to fruition.”
CILIP Chief Executive, Nick Poole said: “We’re excited to be joining forces with Scholastic as official book supplier for The Yoto Carnegies from 2023. With over 100 years’ experience inspiring children and young people in reading for pleasure, Scholastic are well-placed to help us achieve our ambitious plans to grow the Awards with a particular focus on engaging thousands of schools and shadowing groups.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Peters for the great care and service they have given to shadowing groups over the past six years. I am hugely proud of the work we have done together and grateful to Peters for the support they showed to the Awards.”
KEY DATES FOR THE YOTO CARNEGIES 2023:
Wednesday 15 February 2023: Longlist announced
Friday 17 March 2023: Shortlist announced, and Shadowing begins
June 2023: Yoto Carnegie Winners announced
– ENDS –
For further information on The Yoto Carnegies 2023 please visit: www.yotocarnegies.co.uk
#YotoCarnegies23 | @CarnegieMedals
For media and interview requests, please contact:
Annabelle Wright or Sabina Maharjan at ed public relations on
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7732 4796.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
About The Yoto Carnegies
- The Yoto Carnegies celebrate outstanding achievement in children’s writing and illustration respectively and are unique in being judged by librarians.
- The Yoto Carnegie Medal for Writing is awarded annually to a children’s book author whose writing creates an outstanding reading experience. It was established in 1936 in memory of the Scottish-born philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919).
- The Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration, established in 1955, is awarded annually to a children’s book illustrator whose artwork creates an outstanding reading experience.
- Each year thousands of reading groups in schools and libraries in the UK and overseas get involved in the Awards, with children and young people ‘shadowing’ the judging process. They read, discuss and review the books on the shortlists, get involved in reading related activity in groups, and vote for their favourite books to win to win The Yoto Carnegie Shadowers’ Choice Medals for Writing and Illustration.
- In 2022, Katya Balen won both the Yoto Carnegie Medal and the Carnegie Shadowers’ Choice for October, October. The Yoto Kate Greenaway Medal – now named the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration – was won by Danica Novgorodoff for Long Way Down and Mariachiara Di Giorgio was awarded the Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice for The Midnight Fair.
- For 100 years, Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) has been encouraging the personal and intellectual growth of all children, beginning with literacy. Having earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families, Scholastic is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books, a leading provider of literacy curriculum, professional services, and classroom magazines, and a producer of educational and entertaining children’s media. The Company creates and distributes bestselling books and e-books, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, and other products and services that support children’s learning and literacy, both in school and at home. With 15 international operations and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom libraries, school and public libraries, retail, and online.
About CILIP, the library and information association
- CILIP is the leading voice for the information, knowledge management and library profession. Our goal is to put information and library skills and professional values at the heart of a democratic, equal and prosperous society.
- CILIP is a registered charity, no. 313014. The Youth Libraries Group (YLG) is a special interest group of CILIP who work to preserve and influence the provision of quality literature and library services for children and young people, both in public libraries and school library services.
- YLG has 12 regional committees covering all of the UK, and each committee advertises and democratically recruits a judge to represent them on the panel of judges. Each judge serves a two-year term and each year the panel is a unique mix of new and experienced judges led by the Chair of Judges. Following the independent diversity review of the Awards, CILIP introduced a co-opting procedure so that if this recruitment process does not result in a sufficiently diverse and representative judging panel, up to two judges will be co-opted to join the panel.
- Yoto is the audio platform that kids control. Our audio players let kids safely explore their favourite stories, music and more without a screen.
- Inspired by Montessori principals, Ben Drury and Filip Denker founded Yoto in 2017. The very first Yoto Player launched on Kickstarter, then sold out in 2019. The second generation Yoto Player was designed with renowned design agency, Pentagram, and launched in early 2020.
- Yoto Player has won awards and accolades from critics and toddlers alike. TIME Magazine even named it one of the Best Inventions of 2020.
- Yoto Mini – our portable audio player – launched in late 2021 and was awarded a D&AD Pencil in 2022.
- Yoto’s platform features original content alongside audio licensed and co-created with partners. These include PRH, Macmillan, Sony, Disney, LEGO, Roald Dahl Story Company, HarperCollins,